Robin Quinn | Home


Robin Quinn PhotoRobin Quinn is an author and radio producer based in South-East England. His new book, The Man Who Broke the Bank at Monte Carlo explores the life of Charles Deville Wells, fraudster and gambler, and spans the second half of the nineteenth century and the early twentieth century. Published 2016 by The History Press Ltd.


The incredible true story of Charles Deville Wells, gambler and fraudster extraordinaire.

Charles Wells has two loves in his life: a beautiful, headstrong, French mistress, Jeannette, and his sumptuous yacht, the Palais Royal. At the risk of losing them both, Wells stakes everything he owns at the roulette tables in Monte Carlo’s world-famous Casino – and in the space of a few days he breaks the bank, not once but ten times, winning the equivalent of millions in today’s money.

Is he phenomenally lucky? Has he really invented an “infallible” gambling system, as he claims? Or is he just an exceptionally clever fraudster?

Based on painstaking research on both sides of the Channel and beyond, this biography reveals the incredible true story of the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo – an individual who went on to become Europe’s most wanted criminal, hunted by British and French police, and known in the press as “Monte Carlo Wells – the man with 36 aliases”.

Order now: Amazon, Waterstones, WHSmiths, iTunes.
Read excerpts on Google Books.

Now available as an audio book on CDs
And as an audio download



After the Second World War 400,000 German servicemen were imprisoned on British soil – some remaining until 1948. These defeated men in their tattered uniforms were, in every sense, Hitler's Last Army.

Reviews of Hitler's Last Army

“Probably the best book on the subject in the last 20 years”

“I recommend this book as a must to read.”
[★★★★★ Amazon review by “a German ex-POW”]

“Well written, interesting, informative, and heart-warming in equal measure … I would recommend this even to those not especially interested in WW2, as a fascinating slice of Anglo-German social history of 70 years ago. Buy it."
[★★★★★ Amazon review by J.B.]

Blog: All Posts

  • The History Press

    My blog post about German prisoners of war in britain during WW2 is now available on the History Press website:

    Here’s a sample of the text – and on the History Press blog there are several photos from the book.

    In 1945, when the war in Europe came to a close, 150,000 German prisoners were already being held behind barbed wire in POW camps in Britain. Most had arrived within the previous twelve months, following Allied gains after the D-Day invasion.

    But the end of hostilities did not mean that the Germans were to be immediately sent home. On the contrary, the last ones to be repatriated would not see their own country until the end of 1948 – more than two-and-a-half years after war’s end. In fact, their numbers increased in 1946, when a further 130,000 were brought to the UK from North America, where they had been held on Britain’s behalf.*

    Britain had several reasons for wishing to keep the prisoners. Most importantly, they provided an indispensable workforce – especially in agriculture. The nation had been forced to double its agricultural output during the war, and the German prisoners accounted for 25 to 50 per cent of all agricultural labour across the country. Others were employed clearing bomb-sites and helping to rebuild the nation’s shattered infrastructure.

    British politicians believed that while the Germans were still in the UK they might as well be taught to reject the Nazi doctrine they had grown up with and converted into peace-loving democrats. “Re-education” – as it was called – met with some success, though it was later acknowledged to have been a hopelessly over-ambitious plan, with results that were seen as “patchy and qualified”.

    A distinct shift in public attitudes towards the prisoners became apparent as time passed. Residents of Chatham, Kent, protested at first when they learned that a POW camp was to be built near their homes. But when prisoners were allowed in late 1946 to mix with the public, many of the same local families invited the Germans to their homes for Christmas.

    POWs engaged in agriculture frequently lived as part of the farmer’s household: to his dying day, one former prisoner referred to the farmer and his wife as “my English parents”. And the prisoners quickly gained a reputation for being industrious and reliable: ‘We felt that working is good for you,’ one German said. ‘We met the farmers, we met English people and liked them as human beings and there were often really friendly relationships. And we didn’t want to let the farmers down so we worked hard.’

    [* The final count was just over 400,000 POWs, which includes 120,000 others, not mentioned above, who arrived between the end of the war and 1946, when prisoners from the USA were shipped to Britain].


  • Countdown to VE-Day (continued)

    On 21 February 1945 Eberhard Wendler wrote in his diary:

    ‘Received a letter from Willy and Gertrud posted on 28 November 1944.  Bought myself a pair of scissors for 2 shillings’

    [Evidently the postal service was still slow.  Many useful items were bought, sold, and bartered among the prisoners.  Two shillings (10 pence in decimal currency) represented a prisoner-of-war’s wages for two days of farm work.  Cigarettes were also used as currency:  four cigarettes were worth about one shilling].

    Clearly little of note happened during the next three weeks or so, because Eberhard makes no entries of any consequence until mid-March.  We’ll join him again then – seventy years on!


    Eberhard Wendler’s wartime diary continues:

    ‘10 February, 1945: at 2.00 p.m. I received the first parcel from home.  It contained skin cream, a mirror, a mouth-organ, a handkerchief, socks, sugar cubes, sardines in oil, and cakes.

    11 February, 1945: I received the first letter from home dated 24 November 1944.’

    Mail between POWs and their families went via Switzerland and wartime conditions inevitably made this a slow process.  The parcel from home on 10 February was the first communication of any kind that Eberhard had received from his family since his capture six months earlier. Finding a mouth-organ in the package left him a little puzzled, however, as his mother new very well that he did not play the instrument. But it turned out to have been an inspired gift, as he explained to me when I was researching the book:

    ‘I couldn’t play, but some of the others could. After lights-out it still went on. And you could hear people sobbing. Every song was about home. No marching songs. That word, Heimat, [home] is holy. You can’t translate it. It’s your homeland and your own village – it’s sacred to us. They played that mouth organ right through the night and you could hear them sobbing – all in the pitch dark. We love our home … the songs we have about home. I’ve got a satellite now and listen to German music – not news or politics, but the lovely songs.’

  • A POW’s Diary – 70 Years On
    Eberhard Wendler (second from left) with his parents and younger brother Gert (in Hitler Youth uniform)
    Eberhard Wendler (second from left) with his parents and younger brother Gert (in Hitler Youth uniform)

    Eberhard Wendler was conscripted into the German army in January 1944, at the age of 17. His unit was in combat against American forces in Normandy shortly after D-day, and he was taken prisoner on 26 July. He finished up at High Garrett prisoner of war camp near Braintree, Essex, where he kept a journal about everyday life as a POW in Britain.

    Now his diary entries are to be revealed here – many for the first time. They are a fascinating blend of the mundane and the extraordinary, as shown by these two consecutive entries from early 1945:

    • 5th January: it snowed here for the first time. In this weather, with the ground frozen hard, we had to cut sugar beet. In the evening I bought [from the camp shop] two handkerchiefs for eight-pence. 
    • 6th January: at 2100 hours two V-2 rockets exploded near our camp with a terrifying din. 

    Over the coming weeks, I’ll be posting more of Eberhard’s diary entries 70 years (to the day, in many cases) after they were written, leading up to the end of the war with Germany in May 1945.

  • The Mike Read Show

    Yesterday I joined Mike Read on his BBC Radio Berkshire show to chat about Hitler’s Last Army.

    We talked about prisoner of war camps in Berkshire, and I mentioned that German POWs were at one time housed in the former winter quarters of Bertram Mills’ Circus near the race course at Ascot.  Accommodation for some prisoners was found in what had once been the elephant house!

    Mike also asked about escapes: we’ve all seen movies such as The Great Escape which depicts the mass breakout of Allied POWs from a camp in Germany.  On the whole, there were relatively few escape attempts by German prisoners.  Luftwaffe pilot Franz von Werra – subject of another film, The One That Got Away – jumped from a moving train in Canada, made his way back to Germany, was decorated by Adolf Hitler himself, and flew again in combat.  (It was a short-lived return to action, as his plane crashed into the sea soon afterwards, and his remains were never found).  But as Hitler’s Last Army reveals, von Werra was not the only German to escape, or even the first …